Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Potential outcomes in the development of BL2  (Read 1838 times)

Offline DarkBrujah94

• Fledgling
Potential outcomes in the development of BL2
« on: May 11, 2021, 08:45:56 pm »
I don't think I need to explain to anyone in these forums why Bloodlines is so close to my heart. Which is why the sequel's messy (to avoid more appropriate but profane words) development is frustrating to no end. I would prefer cut and dry statements like "game is being remade from scratch" or "we need time to consider our next steps" but PR doesn't work like that, so speculation it is. The way I see it, and I truly wish everyone chips in, Bloodlines 2 can go a few ways:

1)Paradox gets the work of HardSuit finished by another dev team and release the game, at least to cut their losses because developing a game of this caliber isn't cheap (why yes, my name is Captain Obvious  :razz: )
2)Radically rebuild the game almost from scratch to fix massive problems or change the game's target audience, which I consider very unlikely. Wouldn't it be very expensive to do such a thing? Leading to further delays, maybe an inevitable cancellation?
3)Maybe there's no direction besides "HardSuit didn't come through so we took the game away from them and let go everyone we could to have no issues when, in the near future, we collaborate with literally ANYONE willing and able to finish this project, whatever conditions they may have". I am exaggerating a bit with my phrasing, and I don't know how publisher/developer relationships usually go, so excuse any oversimplifications on my part.
4)Something else that is perfectly logical but not posted above?

I know most of this has been reiterated and discussed in other threads before, but there wasn't a post about these potential outcomes specifically, so there it is. Let's keep the thinking going, hopefully to understand why this entire situation is the way it is. Also, if we keep thinking about this a lot, maybe the perfect BL2 game will materialize out of thin air. I am pretty sure that's how reality works.  :wink:

In any case, thanks for reading.  :rock:
"I do not just survive in the World of Darkness, I thrive in it."

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: Potential outcomes in the development of BL2
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 10:02:03 am »
Just for some speculation, Arkane is rumored to work on a vampire game. Could Paradox won them over? They certainly would fit...
https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/arkane-studios-rumored-to-be-working-on-a-vampire-game/z0329b

Offline Wilhelm-Streicher

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 01:03:48 pm »
Just for some speculation, Arkane is rumored to work on a vampire game. Could Paradox won them over? They certainly would fit...
Highly unlikely because Arkane is own by Microsoft. I think that this Omen game is just a new vampire game.
But this speculation shows that we finally need the name of the studio but i don´t think that we hear anything about Bloodlines 2 in 2021. Next weekend is the Paradox big E3 like event and it doesn´t look like it that Bloodlines 2 is featured. https://pdxcon.paradoxplaza.com/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:15:32 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 08:46:51 am »
Okay, it's time for one of us to go undercover, get hired by Paradox, and bring us all the vital information we need on Bloodlines 2. That or get one of the devs at HSL drunk, and make sure they spill the beans on just what happened.  :rofl:

• Antediluvian
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 07:31:42 pm »
https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/arkane-studios-rumored-to-be-working-on-a-vampire-game/z0329b

I am not gonna lie but the rumour was a lot more interessing than this open-world co-op FP where the vampires are of course just boring monsters.

Offline Entenschreck

• Methuselah
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 08:29:26 pm »
I am not gonna lie but the rumour was a lot more interessing than this open-world co-op FP where the vampires are of course just boring monsters.

You can't imagine how disappointed I am right now. This is not at all what I expected from Arkane Studios. I love Arkane Studios, you can ask Wesp about that  :smile: , but it looks like they're being pushed out of their area of expertise, which is immersive sims, to do online multiplayer sh*t.
A while ago I discovered this video:

After seeing this trailer for Red Fall, it seems like the allegations in this video aren't far-fetched at all and I'm afraid I'll have to witness the downfall of my favourite studio.
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. Had to vent a little...

• Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 09:08:05 pm »

You can't imagine how disappointed I am right now. This is not at all what I expected from Arkane Studios. I love Arkane Studios, you can ask Wesp about that  :smile: , but it looks like they're being pushed out of their area of expertise, which is immersive sims, to do online multiplayer sh*t.
Don´t get me wrong i liked Prey (but not the name) and Dishonored series but those games were unfortunately big financial disappointments for Zenimax. So yeah it does make a lot sense that they make this game even we both aren´t the audience any longer. I can´t really blame Zenimax for this decision.
Also besides both Doom and maybe TES Online all of their  previous SP games after Fallout 4 were financial flops.
Dishonored 2, Dishonored Death of the Outsider, TES Legends, Prey, The Evil Within 2, Rage 2, Wolfenstein 2 and New Blood are good games but not many people have bought them.

Yeah its true that Microsoft owns Zenimax  now and therefore Arkane but Deathloop and this Red Fall were already greenlighted before the buyout.
Therefore maybe there is hope that Microsoft will greenlight more Arkane-like titles because of their Gamepass programm but i doubt that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 11:33:03 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Entenschreck

• Methuselah
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 10:24:26 pm »
Don´t get me wrong i liked Prey (but not the name) and Dishonored series but those games were unfortunately big financial disappointments for Zenimax.So yeah it does make a lot sense that they make this game even we both aren´t the audience any longer. I can´t really blame Zenimax for this decision.
Also besides both Doom and maybe TES Online all of their  previous SP games after Fallout 4 were financial flops.
Dishonored 2, Dishonored Death of the Outsider, TES Legends, Prey, The Evil Within 2, Rage 2, Wolfenstein 2 and New Blood are good games but not many people have bought them.

Well, Dishonored 1 is AFAIK the biggest success of Arkane Studios so far and has sold well enough to earn them the chance to make the sequel (which sold quite poorly because of performance issues at launch). I don't know, however, how well Arkane's games have sold over the course of several years. There's no reason to assume that we're talking about huge numbers here, don't get me wrong. The immersive sim genre isn't very popular and such games will never be able to compete with mainstream stuff. So why make a comparison to mainstream titles in the first place? Immersive sims will never be on the list of games that are sold out the day they hit the stores. Instead, they'll continue to sell over time, whereas mainstream games sell very well early on, but are forgotten rather quickly. When Zenimax bought Arkane they must've known that. Suddenly changing their mind and forcing Arkane go the route the studio proclaimed they never wanted to go is a horrible idea. Arkane has the potential to dominate the market for singleplayer games, so just let them do what they do best.
If people think they can expect the same high quality level design they've seen in Dishonored and Prey in an open world game, they're probably going to be very disappointed.

Therefore maybe there is hope that Microsoft will greenlight more Arkane-like titles because of their Gamepass programm but i doubt that.

Perhaps, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. I don't doubt that Arkane will continue to deliver solid games. It's just that these games probably won't be immersive sims anymore. Multiplayer ruins everything that makes immersive sims great. I'm not talking about the style of multiplayer in Deathloop, though. That's actually fine in my opinion.
Now that the initial shock is fading, I can say that I'm not even mad about Red Fall. I wouldn't normally care if they released a game I don't like. I only fear that Zenimax is forcing Arkane to abandon what I love about their games. That'd be such a huge waste of talent...

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 11:36:47 pm »
I completely agree with EntenSchreck, this looks like a "Left 4 Undead" game and not like something Arkane usually does. At least it would be no competition for Bloodlines 2, if this gets made at all. After this announcement and the "Bloodhunt" and "Swansong" trailers I am missing news about Bloodlines 2 more than ever...

P.S.: I just watched this video (https://www.ign.com/videos/bethesdas-pete-hines-on-starfields-graphics-and-redfalls-player-abilities-weapons) and there were some more details. The vampires are the result of a failed experiment (hello zombies), they have occultists worshipping them (hello ghouls), the cool vampires shown are bosses (hello L4D) and the players have different powers (hello TF2).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 06:02:51 pm by Wesp5 »

• Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 06:23:12 pm »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal