Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Playable Clans  (Read 13456 times)

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
Re: Playable Clans
« Reply #225 on: May 16, 2019, 05:45:47 am »
Pray to the DLC altar then, because my bets are on malkavian not making an appearence !

Because of the whole "We have to be sensitive to the concerns of the mental illness community" thing?

Most likely, I feel Malkavians might end up being the most contentious and controversial clan of all.

Then again, I saw a poll where it showed it was the winner as people's favorite clan so... who knows, really.

I blame the Twitter rage machine for why everyone is so worried about offending everyone.  Sometimes I wish Twitter had never come about.

The offended people aren't the "victims" usually, anyway, but a bunch of self-righteous pricks out to make the world suck for everyone by picking tiny battles with anything but the real problems with the world.

It's a freaking video game and people aren't going to take this as a legitimate representation of the mentally ill. Why make the world worse by removing harmless stuff that gives people joy?

If I was mentally ill but just rational enough to be able to understand public opinion and Bloodlines 1, then I would like to think that I would be happy that the most beloved playthrough for many gamers is the one as the clan I have the most in common with. The Malk PC is a hero/anti-hero of Bloodlines 1 and puts more smiles on faces than the other clans due to the fun humor.

And it's not a situation of hate-fulfillment toward the mentally ill, that I have ever seen. People like the Malk PC and getting to experience that very different perspective. People don't actually think that's what it's like to experience very specific mental illnesses.

When comedy becomes politically correct, it goes off to die...

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2019, 06:22:50 am »
The offended people aren't the "victims" usually, anyway, but a bunch of self-righteous pricks out to make the world suck for everyone by picking tiny battles with anything but the real problems with the world.

It's a freaking video game and people aren't going to take this as a legitimate representation of the mentally ill. Why make the world worse by removing harmless stuff that gives people joy?

If I was mentally ill but just rational enough to be able to understand public opinion and Bloodlines 1, then I would like to think that I would be happy that the most beloved playthrough for many gamers is the one as the clan I have the most in common with. The Malk PC is a hero/anti-hero of Bloodlines 1 and puts more smiles on faces than the other clans due to the fun humor.

And it's not a situation of hate-fulfillment toward the mentally ill, that I have ever seen. People like the Malk PC and getting to experience that very different perspective. People don't actually think that's what it's like to experience very specific mental illnesses.

Hopefully Outstar is correct and the biggest change to Malks will be maybe a bit less Fishmalk and more true Malk. 

Offline fylimar

• Antediluvian
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2019, 11:39:06 am »
Well, I'm going to out myself insofar, that I have a mental issue (anxiety) and still or maybe because of that, I love the Malks as a clan. I agree, that Bloodlines Malj could have been written a bit different, But I'm not offended or so. I just think, in some dialigues, they did went a bit over the top.
Still my favorite clan
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
― Doctor Who

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2019, 11:40:55 am »

Hopefully Outstar is correct and the biggest change to Malks will be maybe a bit less Fishmalk and more true Malk.

Agreed. I don't need Malks to all be an inherent joke, but I do need them well-written and interesting if the Malks in question aren't funny.

Even if Jeanette/There's wasn't how a split personality works, I don't see it as "disrespectful," because I found her to be the most interesting Santa Monica character, and a realistic portrayal of such a condition would not have allowed for the intense "standoff" at the end of her arc.

Offline Wilhelm Streicher 19

• Antediluvian
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2019, 11:58:54 am »
You have nothing to worry about. Considering the current theme of clans Ventrue is going to be a given. After the Malk DLC there will probably be a Gangrel DLC, and then they might expand it with others. Or maybe the gangrel will come with season of the wolf, and we'll get Lasombra and Banu Haqim, who knows.
Or the Nosferatu are DLC! ;)
Even if they don´t change their plans and Clan DLCs are still free it would be very disappointing for most players (including me) that
the most iconic clan from Bloodlines 1 isn´t in the sequel / basegame.

But next week clan is without any doubt Ventrue.

Offline VampireBill

• Neonate
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2019, 12:07:56 pm »
The animations in that PiP "pre-alpha" footage doesn't look particularly AAA,  but oh well... VTMB wasn't beautiful when it came out either, definitely isn't today, and I still love it, ha. Also maybe the animations will look better  by release... maybe.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2019, 07:05:12 pm »
Well, I'm going to out myself insofar, that I have a mental issue (anxiety) and still or maybe because of that, I love the Malks as a clan. I agree, that Bloodlines Malj could have been written a bit different, But I'm not offended or so. I just think, in some dialigues, they did went a bit over the top.
Still my favorite clan

I used to suffer with Anxiety Disorder so I know how you feel.  I remember thinking about that issue myself years ago when playing the game for the first time.  I overcame my anxiety disorder the year the game was released, but it was still very fresh in my mind and so I did have an appreciation for the Malks over it even if it didn't make them my all time favorite clan. 

Agreed. I don't need Malks to all be an inherent joke, but I do need them well-written and interesting if the Malks in question aren't funny.

Even if Jeanette/There's wasn't how a split personality works, I don't see it as "disrespectful," because I found her to be the most interesting Santa Monica character, and a realistic portrayal of such a condition would not have allowed for the intense "standoff" at the end of her arc.

I loved Jeanette/Therese.  I don't think vampire insanity DOES have to perfectly mirror real life mental illnesses.  If multiple personality disorder doesn't work that way for human beings, so what?  It does work that way for Malkavian vampires who are not truly human.  Maybe the game can take pains to explain that much without having to take that type of interesting character development away from the vampires themselves. 

Offline fylimar

• Antediluvian
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2019, 09:30:27 pm »

I used to suffer with Anxiety Disorder so I know how you feel.  I remember thinking about that issue myself years ago when playing the game for the first time.  I overcame my anxiety disorder the year the game was released, but it was still very fresh in my mind and so I did have an appreciation for the Malks over it even if it didn't make them my all time favorite clan. 

Glad to hear, that you did overcome your anxiety disorder, I'm still working on it. Tbh Malks weren't my favorite clan from the beginning (that was Gangrel and Tremere in the game and Tzimisce in P&P), they sneaked silently into my heart :). While I do think, that vampiric madness might be different from human mental illnesses, I do think, that they are somehow grounded in human mental illnesses. When I played my P&P Malkavian I gave her anxiety and delusions (often the anxiety came because she didn't know, what was real and what not)
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

― Doctor Who

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2019, 12:35:34 am »
I blame the Twitter rage machine for why everyone is so worried about offending everyone.  Sometimes I wish Twitter had never come about.

They're not wrong though. I mean sure, Malkavians were a lot of fun to play in Bloodlines, but it was a pretty nasty caricature of what it's like to have a mental illness.

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2019, 03:05:00 am »

They're not wrong though. I mean sure, Malkavians were a lot of fun to play in Bloodlines, but it was a pretty nasty caricature of what it's like to have a mental illness.

And Inspector Clouseau is a pretty nasty caricature of a Frenchman. Dude was funny, though. Outrage culture ruins comedy.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2019, 04:33:54 am »
Glad to hear, that you did overcome your anxiety disorder, I'm still working on it. Tbh Malks weren't my favorite clan from the beginning (that was Gangrel and Tremere in the game and Tzimisce in P&P), they sneaked silently into my heart :). While I do think, that vampiric madness might be different from human mental illnesses, I do think, that they are somehow grounded in human mental illnesses. When I played my P&P Malkavian I gave her anxiety and delusions (often the anxiety came because she didn't know, what was real and what not)

Thank you! 

You know, when I first started PC gaming one of the first games I was playing was Lionhead's "Black & White".  I don't know if you ever heard of it or played it but I loved it.  In that game you actually take on the role of a god who watches over his/her worshippers and can cast miracles.  Both helpful and terrifying.  The one thing I HATED about it though was the fact that the temple made a heart beat sound.  That by itself was fine, but if your temple was in distress, the heart beat sound would actually start palpitating.  THAT I hated because it sounded panicked to my ears and it totally reminded me of the way my own heart would palpitate when I would get anxious so sometimes it would trigger my anxiety.  I had to find a way to mod that sh** out of the game.  Sadly I can't find that mod anymore.  Even though I no longer suffer from Anxiety Disorder, all these years later I still remember it very clearly so to this day I hate that feature of that game when I occasionally revisit it.  lol 

Offline fylimar

• Antediluvian
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2019, 11:22:07 am »

Thank you! 

You know, when I first started PC gaming one of the first games I was playing was Lionhead's "Black & White".  I don't know if you ever heard of it or played it but I loved it.  In that game you actually take on the role of a god who watches over his/her worshippers and can cast miracles.  Both helpful and terrifying.  The one thing I HATED about it though was the fact that the temple made a heart beat sound.  That by itself was fine, but if your temple was in distress, the heart beat sound would actually start palpitating.  THAT I hated because it sounded panicked to my ears and it totally reminded me of the way my own heart would palpitate when I would get anxious so sometimes it would trigger my anxiety.  I had to find a way to mod that sh** out of the game.  Sadly I can't find that mod anymore.  Even though I no longer suffer from Anxiety Disorder, all these years later I still remember it very clearly so to this day I hate that feature of that game when I occasionally revisit it.  lol

Oh yeah, a friend of mine played Black and White and wasn't happy with that heartbeat too.
I don't like it, when games get too stressful :)

― Doctor Who

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2019, 03:22:52 am »
And Inspector Clouseau is a pretty nasty caricature of a Frenchman. Dude was funny, though. Outrage culture ruins comedy.

It's funny to you, but clearly you're not mentally ill. It's fair for people who have mental disorders to criticize media material that portrays them as crazy psychopaths.

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #238 on: May 18, 2019, 03:34:20 am »

It's funny to you, but clearly you're not mentally ill. It's fair for people who have mental disorders to criticize media material that portrays them as crazy psychopaths.

There's fair criticism of almost everything made by mankind. And whether a person is mentally ill or not isn't necessarily inherently apparent enough for you to say that I'm clearly not mentally ill. You don't have to be incapable of throwing together a few rational thoughts with some eloquence to feign sanity. Just look at Alistair Grout. ;)

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2019, 04:36:46 am »
There's fair criticism of almost everything made by mankind. And whether a person is mentally ill or not isn't necessarily inherently apparent enough for you to say that I'm clearly not mentally ill. You don't have to be incapable of throwing together a few rational thoughts with some eloquence to feign sanity. Just look at Alistair Grout. ;)

Even if you were (or weren't) mentally ill, there would still be other people that wouldn't like to be portrayed in a bad light, and it's important to hear them out too because they watch movies and enjoy videogames just as much as us.

By the way, and relating to this topic... how the hell is Presence supposed to work in BL2 ?

So supposedly the first power sort of "stuns" people into admiration. But why does the second power serve as a "distraction" to other people ? Isn't it the other way ? If some dude is surrounded by a lot of people then wouldn't he attract the attention of onlookers ?

I knew presence would still suck.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 04:40:14 am by Highwayman667 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal