Author Topic: New Bloodlines Sequel Teased?  (Read 6040 times)

Offline ush

• Fledgling
Re: New Bloodlines Sequel Teased?
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2019, 12:11:58 PM »
Twice, right? Once for the "We Eat Blood" - well, the writer on WEB anyway, and then the usage of Chechnya's persecution of LGBT+ people as a plot point for V5.

Nah wrong, there was the mea maxima culpa for the use of the "triggered" because it triggered the crybabies.

There was the removal of references to nazis and the grovelling apologies that followed.

And the small issue of paradox subsuming WW after the chechnya outrage.

I'd have zero faith in them doing anything other than completely neutering a remake in an attempt to preemptively appease the outage brigade, and then altering the game post release when the mob are outraged anyway  :smile:

Offline Candy Narwhal

• Fledgling
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2019, 02:59:14 PM »
I'm also hoping for something other than a remake, honestly, but for completely different reasons. It's not that I'm specifically worried they'd water anything down, it's just that I'm scared of change in general, that the game wouldn't feel the exact way I want it to. :rofl:

Thankfully, since the art does indeed seem to be depicting Seattle -thank you for pointing that out, Wesp - I may not have so much to worry about. :vampsmile:

I forgot about the neo-nazi thing! Which, from how the original bit was phrased, I'm disappointed but not surprised people took it, well, the way they did...

It's just a character achetype - and it's not described in a particularly flattering way, so you would have to be stupid, frankly, to think that it would invite sympathetic ideologues.

So that's unfortunate. As far as renaming "Short Fuse", I have to ask - why fix what wasn't broken? Suddenly calling it "Triggered" does reek of edgelord nonsense to me. Again, not what Vampire is about.

EDIT: Seriously though, if the game came out and it didn't outrage the mob - would you complain that it didn't, after the fact?

It feels a bit useless to preemptively worry like this, about creative direction, when there's likely not going to be any discussion about it after.

Unless, of course, they pull a Siege of Dragonspear on us and include something that people don't like.

My point is, after the game comes out, it won't matter what's not in it, but what they did choose to include, and what could have been there instead.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:11:16 PM by Candy Narwhal »

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2019, 06:22:38 AM »
VtM is an edgelord game made by edgelords for edgelords (c). It's impossible to imagine it without forbidden topics and politically incorrect NPCs here and here. It never was about edginess for its own sake, but surely will lose some charm without. What's the next step then? No politics?

About Dragonspear, there's a sloppy attempt in trans-pandering. I recall the author said that she doesn't like writing about straight white characters. Why so, unless it's all about sex and race?
Guess that due to the crisis as well as more common audiences has become mainstream, LGBT is expanding onto new areas to monetize, even so obscure and un-LGBT as transgender.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:00:11 PM by deicide »
The patient was a young lady whom I was loath to disfigure (c)

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2019, 10:17:05 AM »
I don't know, I remember Temple Of Elemental Evil, when came out, raised a stir on the possibility of a gay marriage. But since there where also 20 etero NPC which you could marry, I believe those who made these criticism are hypocrites (whenever they are aware or not).
Same issue with the gamegaters: their problem wasn't on the exploitation of LGBTs with the use of LGBT characters on media only for cold commercial interest (and not because it was meant with respect or neutrality). No, their problem was exactly the presence of gays and trans.
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me (on changing my mind on deleting cheeks for a mod)

Offline Candy Narwhal

• Fledgling
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2019, 10:53:33 AM »
VtM is an edgelord game maked by edgelords for edgelords (c). It's impossible to imagine it without forbidden topics and politically incorrect NPCs here and here. It never was about edginess for its own sake, but surely will lose some charm without. What's the next step then? No politics?
I don't know. I think there's a difference between edge for the sake of it, versus using mature themes and uncomfortable topics or implications for actual storytelling or worldbuilding purposes - as is most often the case with Vampire, thankfully - but I suppose where that difference is drawn depends on the person. I see what you mean, though.

I'm not exactly militant, myself. I tick basically all of the SJW boxes, but I just like to think I'm socially aware, as I'm not the obnoxious sort that demands inclusivity or diversity where I can see it's not an easy fit. I just know Vampire has more to it than stereotypes, even though it's built on stereotypes for a foundation's sake. :vampwink:

Look, if you want to know about me personally - I'm a non-binary "snowflake" who changed their legal name to that of a character in Heavy Metal 2000. That should tell you what you need to know about what I enjoy and that it doesn't have to concur wholly with my real-life opinions.

Guess that due to the crisis as well as more common audiences has become mainstream, LGBT is expanding onto new areas to monetize, even so obscure and un-LGBT as transgender.
You're aware of what the T in LGBT stands for, and that it's always been there in the acronym, I hope...

EDIT: @Barabbah, word!

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2019, 12:58:50 PM »
Yeah, meant while they were covered by this umbrella term before, wanted they or not, the last letter wasn't much heard about until a few last years. It was included, but still not commercialized. From my perspective, it should've been the first letter to cross as the most socially acceptable.

As for exploitation and valid presence in videogames, BioWare did fine examples of both, the difference between Zevran from Dragon Age 1 and the whole DA2 cast says pretty much it all. Myself found Zevran one of the most entertaining characters, nothing beats a female mage listening to his stories, especially the first one, about the assassination of a female mage who was meddling in politics. That's truly twisted in the best way.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:24:33 PM by deicide »
The patient was a young lady whom I was loath to disfigure (c)

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2019, 02:12:16 PM »
(Small offtopic on english lexicon):
EDIT: @Barabbah, word!

I heard before this particular use of word, but what does exactly mean? 😅

Offline Leorgrium

• Brujah
  • Neonate
  • Brujah
    • Twitter
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2019, 04:23:12 PM »
I think it's a free to play mmo  :facepalm:

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1108749599131516928

linking twith to tenderbeta, you get a T-shirt

and bodyguard suit

Everybody Lies...
PlanetVampire Discord Channel: https://discord.io/planetvampire

Offline mdqp

• Neonate
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2019, 04:31:16 PM »
I think it's a free to play mmo  :facepalm:

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1108749599131516928

linking twith to tenderbeta, you get a T-shirt

and bodyguard suit

Isn't that just for their Tender stuff? I didn't sign up for that, so I don't know what it actually is.

Offline Candy Narwhal

• Fledgling
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
If it turns out to be an MMO, I will take the fucking metro to Medborgarplatsen and pay Paradox's offices a visit my-damned-self to have a word with them. :facepalm:

I heard before this particular use of word, but what does exactly mean? 😅

"I agree with what you said." :justabite:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:44:03 PM by Candy Narwhal »

Offline Barabbah

• Antediluvian
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2019, 09:12:53 PM »
"I agree with what you said." :justabite:
Ah thanks then :3

End offtopic: an MMO? We can then expect the worse:

Offline Aurelian

• Ancillus
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2019, 09:22:38 PM »
Let us not jump to conclusion until we have more solid facts. I do not believe that they are so foolish to make a MMO game, they know it would flop.

Offline Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Ancillus
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2019, 09:28:45 PM »
Actually MMOs are all the rage nowadays: Zenimax has tried it with Elder Scrolls Online (which is actually doing alright), Bethesda with Fallout 76 (which failed miserably and wasn't even a true MMO as such) and of course you have the wildly popular Fortnite and such which inspire others to try it.

I...wouldn't necessarily say no to a WELL DONE VtM MMO, wide expansive world, solid story, voice acting (like SWTOR, especially the base game) but I am afraid it would be a half-assed cash grab....
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline Mond_Blutgut

• Fledgling
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2019, 09:42:19 PM »

Except for Gwent, gog.com doesn't do or host any kind of always-online-live-service-bullshit.
Which would also include MMOs.

Offline Aurelian

• Ancillus
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2019, 10:10:39 PM »
Actually MMOs are all the rage nowadays: Zenimax has tried it with Elder Scrolls Online (which is actually doing alright), Bethesda with Fallout 76 (which failed miserably and wasn't even a true MMO as such) and of course you have the wildly popular Fortnite and such which inspire others to try it.

I...wouldn't necessarily say no to a WELL DONE VtM MMO, wide expansive world, solid story, voice acting (like SWTOR, especially the base game) but I am afraid it would be a half-assed cash grab....

Man, I played through quite a lot of MMOs, and they are rightfully called "story killers" by both the developers and the players. You will never be able to create a immersive setting in MMO when compared to a single-player experience. There is almost a universal consensus that both ESO and F76 are from a story point of view, utter crap when compared with Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim and Fallout games such as New Vegas or even Fallout 4.