Author Topic: New Bloodlines Sequel Teased?  (Read 10276 times)

Online Ghanima_Atreides

• Libera Me de Ignem
  • Methuselah
Re: New Bloodlines Sequel Teased?
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »
Fallout New Vegas is up there with Bloodlines on my favourite games list, so yeah, Avellone gets my vote too if we can't get the original writer back. :vampsmile:
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Offline Aurelian

• Ancillus
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2019, 10:22:49 PM »
I rather hope it's Brian Mitsoda, because he was the main writer of Bloodlines. But having Avellone to help can't hurt :)!

Having them both would give me a great deal of confidence that we will be getting a true Bloodlines sequel. Let us hope for the best!

Offline Aurelian

• Ancillus
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2019, 10:26:50 PM »
Fallout New Vegas is up there with Bloodlines on my favourite games list, so yeah, Avellone gets my vote too if we can't get the original writer back. :vampsmile:

Avellone is a genius in creating sublime tragic stories and general "atmosphere" of the game he is working upon. New Vegas has gotten a cult status among Fallout fandom.

Heh, I wonder how would Yoko Taro, creator of Nier and Drakengard, do a Bloodlines sequel.

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2019, 10:33:52 AM »
You will pass on the exquisite pleasure of a gambling high? What kind of a Setite and Slytherin are you, Deicide?
Sometimes, artwork / video sequences are good or horrible in an amusing way. Castlevania is a bit of both. Obviously, this requires either watching someone playing or finding them online, because it's impossible to play and watch at the same time. VtM - not much, I won't guess it's VtM if not the logo.
Speaking of the "kick" they provide, as an example, in Japan these machines are very popular, because people are so done in after the work that incapable of doing anything more difficult.
The patient was a young lady whom I was loath to disfigure (c)

Offline Raving_Neonate

• Rave.Period.
  • Antediluvian
  • Raving somewhere....
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2019, 12:28:22 PM »
All this talk of a Bloodlines sequel is getting me slightly on edge for the both good and bad reasons. The names working on it certainly can bring something new and refreshing to the table, but that is also why I am hoping that it won't flop or get cancelled midway. I am still on the lookout for Werewolf the Apocalypse, personally.

However, "new Bloodlines" is an event that I can't still fathom... be it good or bad. Guess I am too much in love with the original to care about the sister.
Me: "I love lollipops!"
WoD ST: "We don't allow lollipops, because we are too dark!"

Offline Aurelian

• Ancillus
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
It all comes down to how much creative freedom Mitsoda and Avellone would be given. That would either make or break the game. For example, Avellone got a lot of criticism from some because they thought he was "glorifying fascism/racism/imperialism/nationalism/slavery and misogyny" by introducing The Caesar's Legion as a faction in Fallout New Vegas. He was hardly glorifying the Legion in any shape or form, but merely pointed out why such a political entity would be born.

Of course, it is a bit odd that some people think that in a post-nuclear wasteland where people die like flies to countless diseases, monsters or other humans, political entities would be of a liberal progressive type.  Real life history suggests otherwise.

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »
Exactly what I'm concerned about the most. Stars without creative freedom are nothing more than a bait.

Hopefully, it won't be as rushed as NWN 2 OC and KotOR 2. The latter probably would've been the ultimate Star Wars project ever released, which exposed how fundamentally broken that universe is. One would have a hard time trying to find something as bleak and dismal as this game. The former is a perfect team of fvcked up heroes, however, barely touched its potential for same reasons.

Of K2, was so disappointed that there's no option to
Spoiler for Hiden:
support Kreia's plan and obliterate the Force itself.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 01:48:33 PM by deicide »

Offline Aurelian

• Ancillus
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2019, 08:21:22 PM »
Deicide, I am not that familiar or fond of Star Wars universe. I find the setting morbid in its obsessive reverence of black and white morality. But I do agree with your overall point, the developers need creative freedom, period. However, given the amount of social and media pressure in the West to dumb things down, I remain skeptical, to a certain degree.

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2019, 09:30:17 PM »
That universe wasn't designed with ambiguous darkside characters in mind to begin with, original trilogy was, to put it short, a black vs everything else kind of story, a power-hugry emperor against allies with any morality or lack thereof. It would've been ok if they ended it right then (or introduced some ambiguity), but instead they explained it by the Force properties itself, which plays a role of fate in this universe. That did not end very well, resulting, by fact, in an universe without a free will.

Exactly the reason KotOR 2 is so different from anything else Star Wars related. There are corrupt lightside Jedi, a Sith Lord (no less) who thinks that the Force sucks, and the protagonist (canonically female) deaf to its call. It clearly had a potential to become a Star Wars Planescape Torment.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:33:42 PM by deicide »

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2019, 10:46:51 PM »
Yeah, Avellone did a masterpiece on KotOR 2 and it's exploration of the grey areas between black and white.

Regarding the ending, well it could have been really complicate adding that ending, otherwise the stories on the movies couldn't have happened at all. But if you want a nice game with that kind of optional ending I cannot omit Arcanum  :rock:
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2019, 11:47:52 PM »
Does everything have to fit a canon? From this point of view, any form of a choice that matters or customizable protagonist is anti-canon. It's better to consider these "what if" scenarios or alternative universes at all. I'm dead sure they would've done such an ending if not time constraints and LucasArt meddling. Which, once again, leads us to the creative freedom and free will question.

Speaking of SW dullness, there was only one Sith Lord in the whole Extended Universe (besides the one from game) who wasn't stereotypical. Aside from that, the Krath story, brother and sister who organized a mock two-person Sith society out of boredom, which escalated once they've came upon a real Sith artifact, initially had shown some promise, but quickly degenerated into a usual compulsive backstabbing fest. Damn, I was hoping to see some improper Dark Jedi at last.
If I remember correctly, Chris was kidding that he considered including it, but decided against because Krath sounds like organic filth in French.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 12:05:11 AM by deicide »

Offline argikt

• Antediluvian
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2019, 10:27:04 AM »
I agree with Barabbah.

I already remember my face when Revan takes his mask... was the more stunning scene that I saw in a videogame.
We must wait until 21 to know more... :taunt:

Offline Barabbah

• Majestic madness maker
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2019, 03:10:53 PM »
I agree with Barabbah.

I already remember my face when Revan takes his mask... was the more stunning scene that I saw in a videogame.

You mean on Arcanum or on Avellone beinwritereat writer? Because Revan and the revelation behind the mask was in the first KotOR, not the sequel Avellone wrote....

However, fun trivia from TvTropes:
Lead designer Chris Avellone claims to have sat through every Star Wars movie, read every Expanded Universe book (!), and even endured the The Star Wars Holiday Special (!!) for the sake of fully understanding the universe he was writing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:12:26 PM by Barabbah »
"Some quotations," said Zellaby, "are greatly improved by lack of context."
― John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos
"fuck the hole in the face"
― me

Offline deicide

• Drug Fiend
  • Methuselah
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2019, 06:54:00 PM »
Sure, K1 is BioWare, not Obsidian.
Still, it seems that "The Last Jedi" was a bit too much for him. Even if he had survived it, he will never admit watching a troll movie. I'm surprised how many people bought that because of so-called emotional scenes and the main attraction, Kylo Ren.
It certainly takes a talent to make something like K2 from something inherently broken without remaking the rules of the said universe. Damn, even the supposed hate sink, Atris, is anything but that. In fact, I've found her uncompromisedness appealing, not into mixing goudron into honey myself. Hovewer, her criteria weren't chosen well. Would not call it a grey area either. Nothing is worse than grey, a compromise, no good, no bad, everyone is on the losing end. K2 is, rather, about areas that doesn't have a color whatsoever.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:03:11 PM by deicide »

Offline Aurelian

• Ancillus
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2019, 11:08:17 PM »
I am still on the lookout for Werewolf the Apocalypse, personally.

Same here, let us hope we get a proper WtA game.