Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is it just me, or is VtMB2 destined to come crashing down?  (Read 9914 times)

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
Re: Is it just me, or is VtMB2 destined to come crashing down?
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2019, 06:19:39 AM »
I thought this was an excellent video for this topic, well worth a watch. 

Yeah, Outstar took a great apolitical approach to the ordeal as well. I watched that a little over a month ago, I think, and it did much to assuage many of my concerns. I'm still leery, but no longer horrified.

Fortunately I was never at a point where I was horrified, though I was the teeniest tiniest bit leery, not because of what came straight from the developers and writers about it but because of how people were interpreting their words or going off the deep end over who they hired as writers.  Some of that hysteria started rubbing off on me just a skosh.  But when you reasonably break down what they themselves actually said, like she does in her video, you find yourself, or at least I did, wondering what the big deal is in the first place. 

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2019, 12:02:53 PM »

Yeah, Outstar took a great apolitical approach to the ordeal as well. I watched that a little over a month ago, I think, and it did much to assuage many of my concerns. I'm still leery, but no longer horrified.

Fortunately I was never at a point where I was horrified, though I was the teeniest tiniest bit leery, not because of what came straight from the developers and writers about it but because of how people were interpreting their words or going off the deep end over who they hired as writers.  Some of that hysteria started rubbing off on me just a skosh.  But when you reasonably break down what they themselves actually said, like she does in her video, you find yourself, or at least I did, wondering what the big deal is in the first place.

I think a lot of us recognized a lot of red flags in the interview which seemed to indicate the game was going to be like Bloodlines 1 after running it through a meat de-flavorizer thanks yo kowtowing to political correctness. Regardless of the reader's political affiliations, anyone not ignoring how the world works is observing the phenomenon known as "get woke, go broke." Take a mostly-apolitucal product, give it a political correctness suppository, then sit back and watch the company hemorrhage money thanks to audience alienation, shifting the focus of the product to a political statement instead of quality, etc.

I, too, want Bloodlines 2 to be successful, and making it politically correct is a great way to try and tank the game's sales.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2019, 06:56:28 PM »
I think a lot of us recognized a lot of red flags in the interview which seemed to indicate the game was going to be like Bloodlines 1 after running it through a meat de-flavorizer thanks yo kowtowing to political correctness. Regardless of the reader's political affiliations, anyone not ignoring how the world works is observing the phenomenon known as "get woke, go broke." Take a mostly-apolitucal product, give it a political correctness suppository, then sit back and watch the company hemorrhage money thanks to audience alienation, shifting the focus of the product to a political statement instead of quality, etc.

I, too, want Bloodlines 2 to be successful, and making it politically correct is a great way to try and tank the game's sales.

These days I don't even know what the term "politically correct" means anymore. I don't think people of any political affiliation likes the term much or the concept behind it. 

I know there are some people that are legitimately worried that some of the meaty flavor of the original game will be taken out of the sequel (and I sure hope it isn't) which is where I know you fall, but I also think there are still others who truly resent the idea of genuine diversity, particularly sexual and gender diversity. 

I know that some people really can't stand it if a game has elements to it that will allow other people with different tastes to have fun in a style that would make them happy even if the presence of those elements won't infringe on the fun of the one who is annoyed by their presence in the game. as Outstar points out.  Apparently the game will allow you, at character creation, to pick your gender pronouns.  I know there will be TONS of people, if this is true, who will roll their eyes, groan and even refuse to get the game because of this, even though they will be able to create the character that THEY want to create.  If they want to be a cis male, they can be a cis male.  That hasn't changed.  But now another subset of human society will be allowed to play the game in a way that they are comfortable with and for my part even though I will be playing as a cis male with "he" and "his" pronouns, its not gonna kill me if the option to choose otherwise is in the game. 

Another thing that will annoy some players is if the game, in addition to having aspects designed to titillate straight males and those who are attracted to gorgeous females will also have aspects designed to titillate straight females those attracted to gorgeous guys.  If the game includes male prostitutes, male strippers, or other guys dressed in sexy ways, this is gonna probably tick some players off.  That's too bad because in real life, straight women have sexual desires and active libidos.  If they didn't, straight men wouldn't ever get laid.  Outstar herself says she hopes she gets to see some man booty in the game.  lol  I am with her on that! 

I just hope that if the game does acknowledge others *in addition to* straight males (not instead of but in addition to), that won't cause the game to "come crashing down" and fail. 

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2019, 08:50:15 PM »

These days I don't even know what the term "politically correct" means anymore. I don't think people of any political affiliation likes the term much or the concept behind it. 

I know there are some people that are legitimately worried that some of the meaty flavor of the original game will be taken out of the sequel (and I sure hope it isn't) which is where I know you fall, but I also think there are still others who truly resent the idea of genuine diversity, particularly sexual and gender diversity. 

I know that some people really can't stand it if a game has elements to it that will allow other people with different tastes to have fun in a style that would make them happy even if the presence of those elements won't infringe on the fun of the one who is annoyed by their presence in the game. as Outstar points out.  Apparently the game will allow you, at character creation, to pick your gender pronouns.  I know there will be TONS of people, if this is true, who will roll their eyes, groan and even refuse to get the game because of this, even though they will be able to create the character that THEY want to create.  If they want to be a cis male, they can be a cis male.  That hasn't changed.  But now another subset of human society will be allowed to play the game in a way that they are comfortable with and for my part even though I will be playing as a cis male with "he" and "his" pronouns, its not gonna kill me if the option to choose otherwise is in the game. 

Another thing that will annoy some players is if the game, in addition to having aspects designed to titillate straight males and those who are attracted to gorgeous females will also have aspects designed to titillate straight females those attracted to gorgeous guys.  If the game includes male prostitutes, male strippers, or other guys dressed in sexy ways, this is gonna probably tick some players off.  That's too bad because in real life, straight women have sexual desires and active libidos.  If they didn't, straight men wouldn't ever get laid.  Outstar herself says she hopes she gets to see some man booty in the game.  lol  I am with her on that! 

I just hope that if the game does acknowledge others *in addition to* straight males (not instead of but in addition to), that won't cause the game to "come crashing down" and fail.

I'm fine with that, though I do hope that characters appeal due to personality rather than only or mostly looks. We spoke of Tali before, and I adore her even though you don't see her body. Her personality is great. Also, my wild gay Zevran adventure was only minimally shameful because I at least liked him personality-wise (and I got an achievement #willgayitupforachievements).

I suppose what I'm getting at poorly is that characters need to be well-written characters. Their sexuality is a secondary or even tertiary quality. However, some characters in games and other media seem to exist for the sheer sake of forced diversity/media virtue signalling brownie points. When the most important and most advertised thing about a character is his/her sexuality, odds are the character is poorly written or unlikable.

I want more Zevrans in gaming and less whomever-that-trans-NPC-was-in-Andromeda-who-was-completely-uninteresting.

Offline fylimar

• Antediluvian
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2019, 08:58:43 PM »

I'm fine with that, though I do hope that characters appeal due to personality rather than only or mostly looks. We spoke of Tali before, and I adore her even though you don't see her body. Her personality is great. Also, my wild gay Zevran adventure was only minimally shameful because I at least liked him personality-wise (and I got an achievement #willgayitupforachievements).

I suppose what I'm getting at poorly is that characters need to be well-written characters. Their sexuality is a secondary or even tertiary quality. However, some characters in games and other media seem to exist for the sheer sake of forced diversity/media virtue signalling brownie points. When the most important and most advertised thing about a character is his/her sexuality, odds are the character is poorly written or unlikable.

I want more Zevrans in gaming and less whomever-that-trans-NPC-was-in-Andromeda-who-was-completely-uninteresting.

I totally agree - and Zevran is one of my favorite DA characters (right behind Varric). Well-written characters are for me the most important part of the game. I guess, thats, why I do like Bloodlines so much, the characters are all well written, even the ones, I don't like (coughVVcough)
“They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.” ― George R.R. Martin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
― Doctor Who

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2019, 09:50:34 PM »

That trans character was badly done but I think their heart was in the right place.  They fumbled with her.  But other than that character, I can't really think of an LGBT BioWare NPC that has been that badly written.  Oh wait...perhaps Serendipity from the Blooming Rose in DA2 and her counterpart in DAO at the Pearl.  I don't hate that character, as she was a drag queen and I love drag queens.  But I think they could have clarified exactly what she was a bit better because I think some people misinterpreted her and the DAO one as caricatures of trans women even though that's not what they were meant to be.   

I wasn't especially fond of Dethmold from Witcher 2.  He seemed to fit the "depraved homosexual" trope that used to be a major thing in video games, TV shows, comics and movies and that has never been one I have enjoyed much.

I have yet to see a game specifically advertised with "All New Gay Characters!", but I have to admit that if that ever happens I think it might make me laugh out loud.  lol

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2019, 10:00:12 PM »

That trans character was badly done but I think their heart was in the right place.  They fumbled with her.  But other than that character, I can't really think of an LGBT BioWare NPC that has been that badly written.  Oh wait...perhaps Serendipity from the Blooming Rose in DA2 and her counterpart in DAO at the Pearl.  I don't hate that character, as she was a drag queen and I love drag queens.  But I think they could have clarified exactly what she was a bit better because I think some people misinterpreted her and the DAO one as caricatures of trans women even though that's not what they were meant to be.   

I wasn't especially fond of Dethmold from Witcher 2.  He seemed to fit the "depraved homosexual" trope that used to be a major thing in video games, TV shows, comics and movies and that has never been one I have enjoyed much.

I have yet to see a game specifically advertised with "All New Gay Characters!", but I have to admit that if that ever happens I think it might make me laugh out loud.  lol
lol Google "gay character news" and I'm sure you will find some stuff. I'm at work or I would check now

EDIT: Okay, yeah, Google "gay characters news games," then Google "straight characters news games" and you will get very different results. By "very different," I don't mean you will get news pointing out straight characters. You will get news pointing out gay characters in celebration, and articles effectively calling for less straight characters. What I find most disconcerting is this notion that gay characters are required for players to be able to "relate" to the character. Um...what? I related to Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot, but I'm not a rich, extroverted adventurer woman. I related to Damsel in Bloodlines, yet I'm not a streetwise communist vampire chick. I related to Tiny Tina in her DLC and her audio recordings (the sad bits), yet I'm not a teenage lesbian girl. I suppose it's impossible for anyone to relate to Marlin in Finding Nemo unless the viewer is a fish...

I have never once in my life related to a character because he or she is STRAIGHT. I either liked the character, or I didn't, and it's based on his or her personality and the character's actions/goals (non-sexual ones). Romance is its own animal, and when it comes to sex, all sorts of crazy shit becomes viable in a video game, regardless of "relatability." I dislike VV in Bloodlines as a character, but would totally have my character sleep with her for a completionist angle and getting more affectionate dialog. If people want more gay sex in games, they need to "man up" and SAY IT. Don't do some bullshit "relatability" argument because it's simply a lie...unless the person is a massive racist, "straight-o-phobe," sexist, etc. and therefore legitimately cannot relate to those characters because of those qualities because of their hatred toward those groups. In those cases, they need to learn to get over their problems instead of saying stupid shit online. :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:47:48 PM by DarkProphet »

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2019, 12:38:50 AM »

I want Damsel so bad in BL2.

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2019, 03:01:02 AM »

I want Damsel so bad in BL2.

I would love to see her as well. Since she was like the resident L.A. "right hand" to Nines (Jack comes and goes, so he's more of a visitor), it would make sense for her to "branch out" to other cities and become an Anarch rabble-rousing leader herself elsewhere. Heck, even though 15 years isn't long for a Kindred, she could have gone through some character growth to be a teensy bit less angry/aggressive (albeit with a few outbursts).

If I could only pick one character per hub to get to spend time with in Bloodlines 2...it would be Jeanette, Damsel, Romero, and Yukie.

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2019, 04:18:35 AM »

lol Google "gay character news" and I'm sure you will find some stuff. I'm at work or I would check now

EDIT: Okay, yeah, Google "gay characters news games," then Google "straight characters news games" and you will get very different results. By "very different," I don't mean you will get news pointing out straight characters. You will get news pointing out gay characters in celebration, and articles effectively calling for less straight characters. What I find most disconcerting is this notion that gay characters are required for players to be able to "relate" to the character. Um...what? I related to Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot, but I'm not a rich, extroverted adventurer woman. I related to Damsel in Bloodlines, yet I'm not a streetwise communist vampire chick. I related to Tiny Tina in her DLC and her audio recordings (the sad bits), yet I'm not a teenage lesbian girl. I suppose it's impossible for anyone to relate to Marlin in Finding Nemo unless the viewer is a fish...

I have never once in my life related to a character because he or she is STRAIGHT. I either liked the character, or I didn't, and it's based on his or her personality and the character's actions/goals (non-sexual ones). Romance is its own animal, and when it comes to sex, all sorts of crazy shit becomes viable in a video game, regardless of "relatability." I dislike VV in Bloodlines as a character, but would totally have my character sleep with her for a completionist angle and getting more affectionate dialog. If people want more gay sex in games, they need to "man up" and SAY IT. Don't do some bullshit "relatability" argument because it's simply a lie...unless the person is a massive racist, "straight-o-phobe," sexist, etc. and therefore legitimately cannot relate to those characters because of those qualities because of their hatred toward those groups. In those cases, they need to learn to get over their problems instead of saying stupid shit online. :D

There are of course celebratory articles written about gay characters by people excited at the chance to be able to play them, if I was any good at writing articles I would probably write a few myself.  And the reason you will find that kind of article vs an article celebrating a character's heterosexuality is because somebody excited about a heterosexual character has yet to write such an article.  Maybe nobody gets as worked up about it as some do about LGBT characters because cis heterosexual characters have always been the default, I don't know.  But that's the way its always been and there will always be an abundance of video games that portray heterosexual characters and that's probably never going to change, so maybe nobody has gotten to the point of being super excited enough to write an article about it.  I wouldn't care if someone decided to write one.  I doubt I would read it but I wouldn't begrudge it as long as they didn't insult LGBT people in the process.  My excitement about LGBT characters has never been because I think straight people suck.  To the contrary, I love straight people.  Two of them are why I was born.  ;) 

People are different and people relate to different things.  I am a very romantic person and I am a very sexual person which I am in no way ashamed of or shy about admitting, so I actually do relate to gay male characters better than I do straight male characters.  I also relate to straight female characters better than I do straight male characters and I can assure you that I am sincere in that.  But relate-ability is only partly why I like there to be gay male characters in video games.  I also like them to be in video games because I simply have more fun playing them, period.  I also like sexy guys in my video games and if they will give my male PC a shot, more's the better.    When I play Fallout New Vegas, I go STRAIGHT to the male chain prostitute outfit and a black cowboy hat, and that is pretty much what my PC will be wearing for the rest of the game.  lol  Gives me eye candy to look at while I am playing a game.  For this reason I can promise you that many straight guys DO like to play sexy females.  They have told me this time and time again.  And I say good for them.  I am glad they can enjoy such things.  I think we should all be able to enjoy things that fit with our tastes and preferences.

I think its dumb for some people to call for fewer straight characters in games, to me that is rather radical.  I have never heard of that before, but I trust you when you say that you have come across that.  By that same token there are those who say there should be NO LGBT characters whatsoever in video games.  There are a LOT of people like that in fact.

I will say that if I were to tailor a game myself I would probably create a game where all romance options were playersexual if I had the time and resources to do so.  Sometimes people long for what they cannot have which is why mods will pop up that make Cullen bisexual, Dorian straight and Sera bisexual in Dragon Age Inquisition.  Perhaps one of these days I will try the Bisexual Cullen mod, I am not sure.  I may rather romance him with a straight female character as is the canon storyline, though I have read that they had originally intended to make him bi, but time constraints stopped that from happening and incidentally I have also read that Dorian was originally going to be bi as well, though that would have killed part of his great storyline regarding his father.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they actually went with the gay approach rather than the straight approach when they decided to cancel someone's bisexuality as normally they make 'em straight when that happens.

Now, can I have fun with a game that doesn't have gay or bi male content?  Yes, I have pretty much HAD to for a very long time.  I wouldn't be the gamer that I am if I never enjoyed such storylines.  Although back in the day if there was a romanceable straight male my character would be a female.  Baldur's Gate II's Anomen was the very first romanceable male character I ever encountered in a video game and yes, my female sorceress Ariana definitely jiggled his codpiece.  But if a straight female character was not an option and only a straight male character was, I can still have fun. My deep love of the Witcher series is a testament to that fact.  Can I find things to relate to other than their sexuality?  Heck yeah.  But do I have MORE fun when my PC can be a gay male?  I definitely do.  That's just how I am.  Will I outright refuse to play a game that is straight only?  Nope. I will give it a try.  Doesn't mean I will *always* enjoy it though.  I tried "Kingdom Come: Deliverance" and that game just didn't do it for me.  It wasn't the mandatory heterosexuality though, even though that aspect ultimately bored me.  It was the fact that it was a medieval RPG with no magic.  I just can't handle that very well.  I respect the fact that the game is meant to be realistic and in line with how things actually historically were back then, but I discovered that too much of that type of reality just isn't fun for me.  At least in that instance.  I may force myself to stick it out longer one of these days. 

BTW I would love for Damsel to make a return as well.  She rocks.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:52:06 AM by DarkZephyr »

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2019, 05:52:38 AM »
Yeah, part of me wonders how much that Sera girl generally just annoyed me by her sheer personality alone, and the other part made me wonder how much her lesbiaticism (I like making words up) locking my male PC out from a romance with her annoyed me at her. Pretty sure her personality was the greater aggravation, but then i'm pretty sure I was staring daggers at the lesbian-only romance option in ME3 as well. I'm like "I don't want to have to play the entire freaking game over just to even BEGIN to flirt with that character!

Of course, I kinda disliked most all of the romance options in ME3 anyway. I think I paired up with ol' soulless Liara again to link my ME1 romance over, and didn't romance anyone in the save file for ME2 so that I would be "faithful" to her and not piss her off in case that were to occur. Anyway, it was a terrible choice. I should've romanced Liara in ME1, then Tali in 2 and 3. Tali is so awesome. I wish she had been a romance option in ME1 so I could stick with her all the way.

And good for you and your leather-clad PC character in Fallout. Reminds me of the crazy shit the Nossies wear in Bloodlines. I would like to see electrical tape for the Nossie girls. =p

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2019, 09:01:09 AM »
Yeah, part of me wonders how much that Sera girl generally just annoyed me by her sheer personality alone, and the other part made me wonder how much her lesbiaticism (I like making words up) locking my male PC out from a romance with her annoyed me at her. Pretty sure her personality was the greater aggravation, but then i'm pretty sure I was staring daggers at the lesbian-only romance option in ME3 as well. I'm like "I don't want to have to play the entire freaking game over just to even BEGIN to flirt with that character!

Of course, I kinda disliked most all of the romance options in ME3 anyway. I think I paired up with ol' soulless Liara again to link my ME1 romance over, and didn't romance anyone in the save file for ME2 so that I would be "faithful" to her and not piss her off in case that were to occur. Anyway, it was a terrible choice. I should've romanced Liara in ME1, then Tali in 2 and 3. Tali is so awesome. I wish she had been a romance option in ME1 so I could stick with her all the way.

And good for you and your leather-clad PC character in Fallout. Reminds me of the crazy shit the Nossies wear in Bloodlines. I would like to see electrical tape for the Nossie girls. =p

Sera always reminded me of a Malkavian to be honest.  lol 

There is some interesting drama that comes up if you aren't faithful to your original love interest.  I think in most cases you have a chance to rekindle it anyway or you can choose to stay with your new love interest. 

The Chained Prostitute outfit IS a lot like the Nossie clothing in Bloodlines 1, isn't it? I would have loved to have seen some of that Nossie stuff on other vampires as well.  lol 

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #207 on: May 17, 2019, 11:54:28 AM »

There is some interesting drama that comes up if you aren't faithful to your original love interest.  I think in most cases you have a chance to rekindle it anyway or you can choose to stay with your new love interest. 

The Chained Prostitute outfit IS a lot like the Nossie clothing in Bloodlines 1, isn't it? I would have loved to have seen some of that Nossie stuff on other vampires as well.  lol

Maybe we'll get that sort of attire in Bloodlines 2 for he other clans. Then again, maybe it will be paid DLC, in which case that leather will never caress my undead buttocks.

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2019, 03:21:43 AM »
I would love to see her as well. Since she was like the resident L.A. "right hand" to Nines (Jack comes and goes, so he's more of a visitor), it would make sense for her to "branch out" to other cities and become an Anarch rabble-rousing leader herself elsewhere. Heck, even though 15 years isn't long for a Kindred, she could have gone through some character growth to be a teensy bit less angry/aggressive (albeit with a few outbursts).

If I could only pick one character per hub to get to spend time with in Bloodlines 2...it would be Jeanette, Damsel, Romero, and Yukie.

Those without a death state should definitely come back. I mean, there's no way Damsel can die in BL1.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:18:03 AM by Wesp5 »

Offline DarkZephyr

• Caine's Plaything
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2019, 03:25:24 AM »

Maybe we'll get that sort of attire in Bloodlines 2 for he other clans. Then again, maybe it will be paid DLC, in which case that leather will never caress my undead buttocks.

I hope we do get it!  I also hope outfits can be modded into the game as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal