Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Interview with Frederick Wester (Paradox CEO) on Bloodlines 2  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Vinland

• Fledgling
Interview with Frederick Wester (Paradox CEO) on Bloodlines 2
« on: October 13, 2021, 03:31:48 pm »
https://www.avanza.se/placera/telegram/2021/10/13/paradox-tror-pa-bloodlines-avvaktar-storsatsning-rollspel-vd.html

STOCKHOLM (Nyhetsbyrån Direkt) Paradox's investment in Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 was seen as a first step for the gaming company into the role-playing game genre. But after the game has been delayed several times, that step is no longer as obvious, but Paradox now wants to wait and see how the game is received before the next big bet is made.

This is what CEO Fredrik Wester says in an interview with Nyhetsbyrån Direkt.

Paradox, with its roots in strategy and management games, announced the role-playing game Bloodlines 2 in early 2019. After shooting the game release several times, Paradox landed earlier this year in that there is no longer a fixed launch year. Throughout the delay period, however, there has been talk that Bloodlines 2 will open the door for Paradox into a third game genre - role-playing games.

Will you that you already are in the genre to stay or do you want to first see how it goes for Bloodlines 2 ?

"I would like to see how Bloodlines is received before we invest the next big money in the genre. There is a huge desire for good games in the role-playing game genre so I absolutely do not want to close any doors. But I would like to see what happens, what can we do and how Bloodlines is received ", says Fredrik Wester.

The schedule for Bloodlines 2 has been affected by both staff dropouts and the pandemic. The decision to adapt the game for the new console generations Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X has also contributed. The game has been developed for several years by Hardsuit Labs, a game studio that is 33 percent owned by Paradox, but in February the news came that a collaboration had begun with a new studio partner.

How close have you been to shutting down the game, or has it become too big not to continue?

"When we lifted the game from the original developer, we had a long review in case we should end the game or run it further. Then we were actually prepared to close the production completely. But we got a 'pitch' that we thought was convincing enough to run. played on and we have very good hopes that it will be a good game that meets the players' expectations ", says Fredrik Wester.

Paradox has not yet announced who took over the development of Bloodlines 2 . Fredrik Wester fits the question but states that it is "a very reputable and talented developer" who has made a number of different games before.

Bloodlines 2 is part of the World of Darkness series and is based on one of many brands (IP) Paradox took over with the purchase of White Wolf Publishing several years ago. The most famous are Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse and Mage: The Ascension. In addition to the ongoing work with Bloodlines 2 , Paradox has, among other things, licensed a number of IPs in recent years.

Paradox has previously said that the company will eventually want to make many of the games in the World of Darkness universe itself. But with a delay for Bloodlines 2 , it seems that at the moment it is leaning towards more outlicensing.

"I also think we should start looking a little more at which active partners want to start working with our World of Darkness IPs. We have to ask ourselves how we should do to develop the brand and the universe, if we should maybe co-finance, how we will work with licensing and so on ", says Fredrik Wester.

When Bloodlines 2's developers were replaced at the beginning of the year, there was speculation in the industry media that the game more or less needed to be redone from the beginning. However, these are speculations that Fredrik Wester does not confirm, but he states that much of the development that was done then can still be used in the game.

There has also been speculation in a launch of Bloodlines 2 at best in 2023?

"We have a while left, so you could say", comments the CEO.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 03:59:42 pm by Vinland »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: Interview with Frederick Wester (Paradox CEO) on Bloodlines 2
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 07:11:55 pm »
Why don't they announce the new studio, are they fearing protest from the fans? Because "A very reputable and talented developer who has made a number of different games before." sounds like a developer you might not have done an RPG before either...

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 07:48:08 pm »
So they actually thought about cancelling the game back then! I guess it makes sense, but it's nice to have confirmation. Now more than ever, I wish I knew what went down, and if they are going to change little/a lot/everything of what HSL originally created. If they were considering scrapping the project, they probably are planning considerable changes.

I assume the radio silence about the devs is because they got burned before with the announcements and don't want to share until they are ready this time, but I'd really wish they'd come out and name the team, at least.

Offline Monjh

• Emperor of the Universe
  • Neonate
  • Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying I can be lying
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 06:14:06 am »
It very much sounds like they put the game on the hands of either an inexperienced studio, a studio with a bad reputation consumer-wise or a studio that never made a game of the genre. And the developer? By the mistery of it, can even be an intern that worked on something like "Nude Chess [with bigger titties]".

Not inspiring confidence.
Vampires? You are watching too much TV.

Offline Vinland

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 07:04:29 am »
Why don't they announce the new studio, are they fearing protest from the fans? Because "A very reputable and talented developer who has made a number of different games before." sounds like a developer you might not have done an RPG before either...

Marketing is done at a deliberate pace. Remember, until the formal announcement trailer, we had no idea that Bloodlines 2 existed or that Hardsuit was developing it. When you make a big announcement, you want to make it grand, make it positive, and you want to maximize attention.

It's hard to imagine what positivity could be gained out of just naming the new developer without having a trailer of good looking footage to back them up with. Without something to show off, what happens is that the developer would just be picked on based on whatever little flaws were present in their previous titles. Paradox could do something outrageous like announce Square-Enix as the new developer and without a trailer the conversation would immediately turn to everything that was wrong with Final Fantasy 15.

Offline Wilhelm-Streicher

• Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 08:34:02 pm »
This could be every game studio out here. Maybe even a mobile game studio. But you are right I don´t think that this studio has any RPG experience. I personal would add that´s pretty doubtful that this studio has made any AAA games before. Of course it´s still possible but the saying of "different games" is pretty fishy.
I think that this new studio could be a cheap dev from maybe India or Russia.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:32:05 am by Wesp5 »

Offline argikt

• Antediluvian
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 08:33:48 am »
That's what I have understood after reading the interview.
"I can't say nothing about any question, but  game keeps going."

Why an interview for this? :angry:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:00:50 am by Wesp5 »

• Antediluvian
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 09:19:53 am »
Maybe this complete bullshit but a Reddit user named Schipunov said this: "The Chinese Room is rumored as the new studio. First hand rumour in gaming leaks discord. The supposed leaker gave a whole bunch of more details that make this more plausible, but of course take this with a huge grain of salt."
https://www.reddit.com/r/vtmb/comments/q803fh/paradox_ceo_fredrik_wester_tells_swedish_paper/

Well this is a good studio but they haven´t made any RPG. But Hardsuit Labs also hadn´t made one so. By the way their parent company is the biggest british independent studio Sumo Digital so they have a lot more resources than HSL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chinese_Room
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:25:28 am by Wilhelm-Streicher »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 10:11:58 am »
Well this is a good studio but they haven´t made any RPG.
In my opinion they haven't even made a game with gameplay. Dear Esther and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture were nothing but overhyped walking simulators, the latter one like the Amnesia episode just had an unfightable enemy if I remember correctly, so the only gameplay would be to walk or run away! How they should be able to fix the probably broken gameplay of Bloodlines 2 is beyond me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:14:58 am by Wesp5 »

• Antediluvian
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 10:28:48 am »
How they should be able to fix the probably broken gameplay of Bloodlines 2 is beyond me.
They made a good pitch i guess?  :facepalm: But the situation with The Chinese Room appears to be weird. In 2017 they closed almost the whole company and after Sumos acquisition they restarted again.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-09-25-significant-layoffs-at-the-chinese-room-as-studio-goes-dark-for-new-project

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-14-the-chinese-rooms-ambition-to-move-out-of-the-art-house-niche

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 11:10:11 am »
Could someone sum up what makes the rumour reputable, and what does it say specifically? I mean, at face value, the Chinese Room makes exactly zero sense for Bloodlines 2, ESPECIALLY after the mess the game has been through (you'd expect a dev with AAA and RPG experience, or at least something close to it).

Offline Vinland

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 12:43:43 pm »
Could someone sum up what makes the rumour reputable, and what does it say specifically? I mean, at face value, the Chinese Room makes exactly zero sense for Bloodlines 2, ESPECIALLY after the mess the game has been through (you'd expect a dev with AAA and RPG experience, or at least something close to it).

Nothing makes it reputable. It's a random comment on reddit and it is substantiated by absolutely nothing. Bloodlines 2 has been targeted by these kinds of trolls before. A few months ago a similar reddit rumour was being circulated about the game being developed by Rocksteady. There's always a chance that one of these rumours is not a weak attempt to troll us but it's probably the same chance as getting struck by lightning.

• Antediluvian
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 02:44:46 pm »
Nothing makes it reputable. It's a random comment on reddit and it is substantiated by absolutely nothing. Bloodlines 2 has been targeted by these kinds of trolls before. A few months ago a similar reddit rumour was being circulated about the game being developed by Rocksteady. There's always a chance that one of these rumours is not a weak attempt to troll us but it's probably the same chance as getting struck by lightning.
Well i agree it sounds so random. But unlike Rocksteady or any other more known studios with RPG expericence this is so unique because "it made zero sense".
I saw a lot of speculations and obvious bullshit ones like the Rocksteady but this one i don´t know. It could be true.

If not this has to be Mastertrolling. Think about why The Chinese Room? They aren´t that well-known and they don´t have any RPG expericense before but they aren´t owned by a big Publisher. Almost nobody in the world would make the connection between them and Bloodlines 2.

If i personal had created a fake rumour i wanted to look it more legit and name a more known studio who made RPGs before. And stupid people well Rocksteady.   :facepalm:

But i would never ever thought about The Chinese Room.

Edit: Reddit user The_Magic: "Where did you hear this rumor?  I can't find anything about it."
Reddit user Schipunov: "First hand rumour in gaming leaks discord. The supposed leaker gave a whole bunch of more details that make this more plausible, but of course take this with a huge grain of salt."
Reddit user The_Magic: "Without the details I am a bit skeptical because I do not believe The Chinese Room have made a game in the ballpark of this before and one of Ubisoft Guy's recommendations to Paradox was to find a studio that had the experience to put this game together.EDIT: After looking up the rumor myself I find it plausible.   If the leak is true (still a big if) and the "finished" product HSL turned in to Paradox was that bad then the leads at HSL should be ashamed of themselves."

https://www.reddit.com/r/vtmb/comments/q803fh/paradox_ceo_fredrik_wester_tells_swedish_paper/?sort=new
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 03:05:03 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline MooCHa

• Nelapsi
  • Antediluvian
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 09:43:50 pm »
It very much sounds like they put the game on the hands of either an inexperienced studio, a studio with a bad reputation consumer-wise or a studio that never made a game of the genre. And the developer? By the mistery of it, can even be an intern that worked on something like "Nude Chess [with bigger titties]".

Not inspiring confidence.

Troika was inexperienced and look what we got! Obsidian is the Evolution of said and just to think Fallout new vegas cough cough is regarded as?

Bloodlines even tough all of its wows stand the test of time as one of the best rpg's.

Cough Good writing.

My lad reckons that they got rid of Mitsoda with BL2 because the other writers couldn't keep up.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 09:46:28 pm by MooCHa »
Regards...

Offline Pyoro-2

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 09:19:43 pm »
The problem is that there aren't many independent studios around anymore that you would expect to be able to produce such a game, right out of the bat. They are basically all affiliated with publishers or whatever you want to call the Microsoft/SONY/Nintendo trifecta. That doesn't mean that PDX might not be teaming up with any of those larger companies ... but why would they want to, instead of developing their own IPs?

That being said look at stuff like Black Myth: Wukong or Kena: Bridge of Spirits and whatnot ... so I wouldn't overrate studio experience either, especially since I'm sure we could all name roughly 173 disastrous games that were created by seemingly experienced studios that should have known better ^^;
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:57:00 pm by Wesp5 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal