Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: HSL is no longer developing Bloodlines 2  (Read 278 times)

Offline Pyoro-2

• Fledgling
HSL is no longer developing Bloodlines 2
« on: February 23, 2021, 07:52:24 AM »
It has happened:
https://www.bloodlines2.com/en/bloodlines-2-development-update
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/bloodlines-2-development-update.1458755/

Secondly, we have made the hard decision that Hardsuit Labs will no longer be leading the development of Bloodlines 2 - which also means that we will not be releasing in 2021 as previously planned. Since we cannot at this time communicate a new release date, we've also decided to stop accepting pre-orders for the time being.

This game is very important to us and it has been an ambitious project from the very start. In order to meet our goals for it, we’ve come to the conclusion that a change is needed and, as a result, more development time is required.

In other words there'll be a whole bunch of nothing until something new is going on. Oh well. It'll be interesting to see who'll try their luck this time around ;)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:54:24 AM by Pyoro-2 »

Offline Candy Narwhal

• Neonate
Re: HSL is no longer developing Bloodlines 2
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 08:30:53 AM »
I'm not mad about this. It's been clear for a while, now, that HSL bit off way more than they could chew with BL2.

The game was visibly suffering for it, right down to the firing of Brian and Cara because they couldn't afford them on the payroll any longer.

I have much higher hopes, now that a new developer has entered the picture.

Question is, will the foundation that HSL built for the game, actually be able to support it, or will the new developers (who I hope are not another fucking subsidiary of Paradox, lmao) need to spend most of their time fixing their work?

As long as any necessary changes won't interfere more with the game's narrative, I personally don't care much.

They can tear out the game systems and replace them wholesale, I just don't want Brian and Cara's work to be lost (unless the poor substitutes they hired in their place already gutted the story)...

Offline Entenschreck

• Methuselah
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 08:43:26 AM »
To be honest, I think this is good news. I've read comments from people on Reddit suggesting to give the game to Obsidian Entertainment. Leonard Boyarsky works there afaik, so why not? Seems like a good idea. Also, do you guys think that there might be a chance for Mitsoda to return now?  And even though it's very unlikely, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Arkane Studios will be hired to help with level design and gameplay. Well, a man can dream...

Offline Wilhelm-Streicher

• Antediluvian
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 10:17:26 AM »
Ok, it has happened. And this is good. I would be very mad if Mitsoda, Cluney and Ellison were still involved, but they fired them or in Ellison's case lett her go.
Therefore this is the best thing that could happen to Bloodlines 2. In my opinion Hardsuit Labs was never the right studio for BL 2. Yes, they had passionate devs like Mitsoda there and I have no doubt that at least the story will be excellent but the studio itself (even as Zombie Studio) hasn´t done a good game.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:29:42 PM by Wesp5 »

• Antediluvian
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 10:25:09 AM »
To be honest, I think this is good news. I've read comments from people on Reddit suggesting to give the game to Obsidian Entertainment. Leonard Boyarsky works there afaik, so why not? Seems like a good idea.
Sorry, but Obsidian is owned by Microsoft so this isn´t an option any longer.

Also, do you guys think that there might be a chance for Mitsoda to return now? 
Well i hope that Paradox have the wisedom and bring him back. He is the face of this game and also this is his baby.
I would suggest that we all as Bloodlines Fans campaign for his return.

And even though it's very unlikely, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Arkane Studios will be hired to help with level design and gameplay. Well, a man can dream...
Also owned by Microsoft.
Here is my idea. It's a studio I already had mentioned in other Threads. It's also a Seattle studio and unlike Obsidian or Arkane this is own by Paradox themselves. I am talking about the Shadow Run maker Harebrained Schemes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harebrained_Schemes
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:30:32 PM by Wesp5 »

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:59:23 AM »
Well, here is hoping something good comes out of this. I guess I won't have any problems finishing Bloodlines 1 with all the clans a second time before the sequel comes out, at least.  :rofl:
Even internally, they must have been at their wits' end, if they decided to go along with the announcement without presenting the studio which will take over development. HSL must have ran out of chances badly.

Offline thewarsend

• Ancillus
  • BOOM! Love Jack :)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 12:08:53 PM »
This is not in any way, shape or form good news.

They are saying they will not be releasing Bloodlines 2 this year, which is crazy when you consider there is more than 10 months until 2022 and the game was supposed to come out last year. Not to mention, they do not specify a date, it could be the last month of 2022 for all we know. That tells me what they made until now is either barely usable, or it simply doesn't fit into what Paradox wants the game to be. I am not sure which is worse.

If it is the former, which doesn't seem likely, we might not see Bloodlines 2 in 2022 either. It doesn't seem likely, because as unpolished as it was, gameplay was there, along with a story, we all saw it. They implied on many occasions the story was on track as well.

If it is the latter, which to me seems more likely, it is even more troubling. Because we have no idea what Paradox wants the game to be. All we know is, what they wish to deliver is not what Brian Mitsoda was trying to make. To me, it feels like Paradox wishes to appeal to a broader audience, which must be the reason why they pulled HSL. They did not wish to lose all their work so far, do things the way Paradox wanted and showed resistance perhaps?

Who knows? In any case, this is terrible news for us all.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:35:53 PM by Wesp5 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 12:38:06 PM »
Judging from all the Glassdoor reviews it could also be that HSL as a studio and especially its managment was just completely overwhelmed developing a RPG.

• Antediluvian
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 12:40:00 PM »
This is not in any way, shape or form good news.

Who knows? In any case, this is terrible news for us all.
I disagree strongly with you on this topic. For me at least this is good news maybe even great news if they find a good studio. Lets face it, Hardsuit Labs wasn´t the right studio for this kind of the game. They had experienced devs, but they fired them. Hardsuit Labs should have never be allowed to develop Bloodlines 2 in the first place, but they had Brian Mitsoda starpower and a good prototyp I assume.
Yes, we have to wait longer maybe even longer than 2022, but I honestly believe if Hardsuit Labs were allowed to release this game it would be a worse game than Bloodlines 1.0.
I just hope that Paradox won´t outsource it to a cheap studio.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:43:24 PM by Wesp5 »

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 12:44:56 PM »
Speaking of Harebrained Schemes, is anybody here on LinkedIn and could check if Mitsoda or other known names appear there?

• Antediluvian
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 01:19:06 PM »
By the way this shouldn´t be overlooked. "Additionally, for the time being, we'll be making this (the Paradox forum) forum read-only for the foreseeable future as we continue development and will reopen things again in the future. For now, we'll be over on Discord and you are welcome to join the community there: https://discord.gg/bloodlines2
So i am still banned for some months but this is just a big fuck you to the small remaining loyal fanbase here.

Offline mdqp

• Ancillus
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 02:04:57 PM »
By the way this shouldn´t be overlooked. "Additionally, for the time being, we'll be making this (the Paradox forum) forum read-only for the foreseeable future as we continue development and will reopen things again in the future. For now, we'll be over on Discord and you are welcome to join the community there: https://discord.gg/bloodlines2
So i am still banned for some months but this is just a big fuck you to the small remaining loyal fanbase here.

Is it just me, or you can't even comment in the Discord right now? Also, what's with the depression hotline in the welcome page, is it meta-commentary to the state of the fandom after the last year or so?  :rofl:
Edit: I guess you just need to read the rules to comment in the Discord (I was a little surprised when I saw barely anything at first). Anyway, I doubt anything big is going to come out soon, so I'll keep an eye out on this forum like I usually do, instead.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:49:31 PM by mdqp »

Offline tarulu

• Ancillus
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 03:02:52 PM »
What a great news!
Now i wonder if people behind the project were monitoring comments in here and other forums and if this had anything to do with their decision.

Online AnnekeFloorever

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 03:55:07 PM »
I am actually glad Hardsuit Labs is no longer developing this current mess of a game.

• Antediluvian
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 04:53:06 PM »
Interesting, I wasn´t aware about this but Hardsuit Labs did some other works than Bloodlines 2.
Which isn´t strange for a bigger company but for smaller one like Hardsuit Labs it seems strange that they did some stuff on Crash 4 for Playstation 4 maybe even the port. I don´t know.
https://www.hardsuitlabs.com/about/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:34:11 PM by Wesp5 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal