Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Are you still hyped for Bloodlines 2?  (Read 952 times)

Offline Wesp5

• Administratrix
  • Antediluvian
  • Unofficial Patcher
Re: Are you still hyped for Bloodlines 2?
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2020, 06:07:29 pm »
It sounds like TOW's subplot between those characters is just annoying.
I never played Borderlands 3, but it sounds as if the whole quest there is ironic. The one in TOW isn't. I believe it is done in full earnest to shine light on minorities like sweet female lesbian asexual mechanics! Also I forgot to mention that both females are not white and that the writer Dollarhyde herself is  asexual and bisexual, writing her own experiences into it. Which basically is doing all diversity requirements in one go ;)!

The absolute fear woke writers have of giving their "progressive" characters flaws/weaknesses is arguably one of the worst things about those characters, in my opinion.
It's not that in TOW, Parvati is indeed shy and likeable. But you can't ever make fun about her preferences, because the writer doesn't allow it, and how lucky that she finds another female exactly of her kind so the only problem they have is soap. You are completely right, it would have been much more interesting if she would have fallen in love with someone who isn't a lesbian or asexual or has issues with this. But no, they need their captain to arrange a date, while the rest of the colony is dying!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:09:47 pm by Wesp5 »

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Methuselah
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2020, 06:30:46 pm »
I wouldn't object absolutely blank Bloodlines 2 version, no stories, no dialogues, nothing, just completely blank game and bunch of creation kits and tools so you can build anything to your liking.

First of all I'd create short, fat and bearded nosferatu.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:37:05 pm by Happydeathclaw »

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2020, 06:40:32 pm »
I never played Borderlands 3, but it sounds as if the whole quest there is ironic. The one in TOW isn't. I believe it is done in full earnest to shine light on minorities like sweet female lesbian asexual mechanics! Also I forgot to mention that both females are not white and that the writer Dollarhyde herself is  asexual and bisexual, writing her own experiences into it. Which basically is doing all diversity requirements in one go ;)!
I won't trash on the writer for having a character or two in her story with similarities to herself, nor will I trash on the characters just for being homosexual, etc. if the character is well-written as opposed to being a piece of propaganda. Denzel Washington brought up a good point as to why the famous film writers like Scorsese, Spielberg, etc. sometimes do well and focus on writing about Italian-American characters or Jewish-American characters, things they hear about a lot, etc. in their work: they write what they know. If someone has life experiences that could make their characters and their setting better than how someone who doesn't have those same life experiences could make the story/film, then more power to them making those characters and settings. We could get a better plot and immersion than someone who doesn't know it. That's also a point in favor of folks who often write middle-class characters or lower-class characters, etc.: it's what they know, personally.

And I think that's actually a good point. Heck, look at Bloodlines 2's setting! It's in Seattle, and isn't Hardsuit Labs located around that area? Then they should be better at bringing to life a dark version of Seattle than someone who lives in Florida (southeast) who has never visited the U.S. west coast. That said, if someone in Florida also wants to make a game in Seattle, then that's cool, too, though I would encourage those people to do a little research, watch some shows/movies set there, and maybe at least visit or interview some people about it, etc.

However, when the writer just wants to write the characters to show off their own arrogance and make themselves seem perfect via their characters of self-reflection, that's when I have a problem with people writing "what they know." It would be one thing if both women were mechanics and the cause of everyone dying isn't something a mechanic could possibly help with and they're just escaping from reality into their romance. HOWEVER, if one of the women is in a LEADERSHIP role, or there's a problem that could be solved by a mechanic and she's willfully being negligent to "hook up" with a chick she's into, then the game should obviously make it a point to allow the player to bring this up and chastise her or even have her face incarceration for crimes of negligence to those she's responsible for.

It's not that in TOW, Parvati is indeed shy and likeable. But you can't ever make fun about her preferences, because the writer doesn't allow it, and how lucky that she finds another female exactly of her kind so the only problem they have is soap. You are completely right, it would have been much more interesting if she would have fallen in love with someone who isn't a lesbian or asexual or has issues with this. But no, they need their captain to arrange a date, while the rest of the colony is dying!
I don't need to be able to make fun of a video game character for being homosexual. We only get a few things we can say to any character in a game, if we have options at all, so that would be pretty low on the list of things I'd want the freedom to say, and even then I probably wouldn't pick it unless the character was just an outright asshole I wanted to find some way to upset. I'd much rather have dialog options such as "How many people do you think will die while you're on your date?" or "How about while I'm fixing you up for your date, you save everyone's lives instead of standing around, then go on a date LATER?"  :facepalm:
Quote from: Happydeathclaw
I wouldn't object absolutely blank Bloodlines 2 version, no stories, no dialogues, nothing, just completely blank game and bunch of creation kits and tools so you can build anything to your liking.
Hardsuit Labs would never find work again, and Paradox would lose wild amounts of money. Story is the most important thing to most VtM fans, and even if a few people did make some okay stuff, it would take years for them to come out, and Paradox wouldn't sell copies of Bloodlines 2 to anyone but content creators until the content from those creators was finished. Just look at Fallout 4. That's been out for years and there are very few "campaigns" out of any great quality, from what I hear. To be fair, the main game isn't all that great, either, but Bethesda would've lost tons of money if Fallout 4 was just the toolkit.

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Methuselah
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2020, 09:27:42 pm »

Hardsuit Labs would never find work again, and Paradox would lose wild amounts of money. Story is the most important thing to most VtM fans, and even if a few people did make some okay stuff, it would take years for them to come out, and Paradox wouldn't sell copies of Bloodlines 2 to anyone but content creators until the content from those creators was finished. Just look at Fallout 4. That's been out for years and there are very few "campaigns" out of any great quality, from what I hear. To be fair, the main game isn't all that great, either, but Bethesda would've lost tons of money if Fallout 4 was just the toolkit.

Stop. Taking. Everything. Seriously. I am not super cereal here. And everywhere.

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2020, 02:12:42 am »

Stop. Taking. Everything. Seriously. I am not super cereal here. And everywhere.
Lol, sorry! I'm used to people putting forward horrible ideas on here and being dead serious about them. That said, making a short, fat Nosferatu would actually be kinda fun. I'd prefer it to the BDSM look of Bloodlines 1's male Nossies. I get that Nosferatu sometimes revel in their fugliness, but BDSM gear? Really now? =p

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Methuselah
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2020, 05:39:59 pm »
I'm used to people putting forward horrible ideas on here and being dead serious about them.

Sick, sad and hopeless people.

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2020, 07:15:00 pm »
I'm used to people putting forward horrible ideas on here and being dead serious about them.

Aye. And even though you were kidding about what you "suggested," that would be a cool product if it was entirely separate, had lots of usable assets for a variety of regions, and cost like $19.99 or something for creators. I don't want the Bloodlines 2 assets and stuff, of course. I think creators ought to be able to charge for their creations, though, as opposed to tossing out the tools and reaping benefits from the labor of others.

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Methuselah
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2020, 09:41:31 pm »

Aye. And even though you were kidding about what you "suggested," that would be a cool product if it was entirely separate, had lots of usable assets for a variety of regions, and cost like $19.99 or something for creators. I don't want the Bloodlines 2 assets and stuff, of course. I think creators ought to be able to charge for their creations, though, as opposed to tossing out the tools and reaping benefits from the labor of others.

At that moment I thought about Skyrim which is not really a game, it's a platform you're building on something of your own with a godzillions of heavy mods and then pervertedly poleplaying through all this mess, since naked vanilla Skyrim is a comlete&utter garbage with totally ruined Elder Scrolls franchise. And I suspect the same happens to Bloodlines recently, then why not retarded game and kit of modding tools.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:51:29 pm by Happydeathclaw »

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2020, 10:01:09 pm »

At that moment I thought about Skyrim which is not really a game, it's a platform you're building on something of your own with a godzillions of heavy mods and then pervertedly poleplaying through all this mess, since naked vanilla Skyrim is a comlete&utter garbage with totally ruined Elder Scrolls franchise. And I suspect the same happens to Bloodlines recently, then why not retarded game and kit of modding tools.
I'll bet Paradox, who own VtM now, would be too protective of the lore to allow people to write campaigns playable on an "official VtM toolkit." I understand, but restriction creation stifles it kinda like how Star Wars games aren't very good these days with rare exception (Jedi Fallen Order) since EA has all the rights and no one else can make a Star Wars game, even if they would be a better choice (and EA sucks, so I'm sure they are plenty of better studios for it).

Offline Happydeathclaw

• Methuselah
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2020, 05:39:13 pm »

I'll bet Paradox, who own VtM now, would be too protective of the lore to allow people to write campaigns playable on an "official VtM toolkit." I understand, but restriction creation stifles it kinda like how Star Wars games aren't very good these days with rare exception (Jedi Fallen Order) since EA has all the rights and no one else can make a Star Wars game, even if they would be a better choice (and EA sucks, so I'm sure they are plenty of better studios for it).

Aye, EA is the well known true evil, big, fat, greedy and stenchy.

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2020, 05:27:36 pm »
Now I'm confused about Cara Ellison and the whole woke thing. Since people mentioned her being let go, too, I went to that "Twitter" thing the kids these days use, and she did that "retweet" thing on Oct 13 this year (4 days ago) saying "what if you can't pack the court enough to overcome the fact that Democrats suck"
So is she woke or not? XD

Offline Highwayman667

• Antediluvian
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2020, 06:32:02 pm »
Now I'm confused about Cara Ellison and the whole woke thing. Since people mentioned her being let go, too, I went to that "Twitter" thing the kids these days use, and she did that "retweet" thing on Oct 13 this year (4 days ago) saying "what if you can't pack the court enough to overcome the fact that Democrats suck" So is she woke or not? XD

You need a giant-sized bottle of nuance in your life DarkProphet.

Not everything is as rigid as you perceive it. Anyone can perfectly be progressive and still be against the actions of the democratic party, just as anyone can perfectly be conservative and still be against the actions of republicans. It would do you some good to stop watching Steven Crowder or Alex Jones.

Still, trying to maintain on-topic, I do wonder what was behind Cara's departure, hopefully she won't stay silent for long.

Offline Talyn82

• Methuselah
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2020, 10:29:11 pm »
Now I'm confused about Cara Ellison and the whole woke thing. Since people mentioned her being let go, too, I went to that "Twitter" thing the kids these days use, and she did that "retweet" thing on Oct 13 this year (4 days ago) saying "what if you can't pack the court enough to overcome the fact that Democrats suck" So is she woke or not? XD

Not everything is as rigid as you perceive it. Anyone can perfectly be progressive and still be against the actions of the democratic party, just as anyone can perfectly be conservative and still be against the actions of republicans. It would do you some good to stop watching Steven Crowder or Alex Jones.

Still, trying to maintain on-topic, I do wonder what was behind Cara's departure, hopefully she won't stay silent for long.

Hopefully Outstar will shed some light on the matter, since she works for Paradox now.
Vae Victus! -Kain

Offline DarkProphet

• Antediluvian
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2020, 01:15:19 am »

Not everything is as rigid as you perceive it. Anyone can perfectly be progressive and still be against the actions of the democratic party,
Apparently you didn't get the memo. Anyone to the right of Karl Marx is a "Nazi" now, according to the Left. Ice Cube rapped about arresting Trump once...but as soon as the Democratic party learns that the Trump administration consulted Ice Cube more recently for policies for "Black America," Ice Cube is suddenly guilty by association and having to "explain himself" for having the audacity to even talk to anyone on the other side. You say the Democratic party is not as "rigid" as I believe it to be, when in fact, it has never been more brittle. Quite a few Democrats are becoming Republicans these days because the Democratic party no longer supports what it used to.
A few years ago, the call for abortion was for it to be "safe, legal, and rare." Look up the phrase. You can find major Democratic persons quoting it in so many videos on YouTube, such as Hillary Clinton. Now, however, the call for abortion is closing in on "until birth." Some Democrats are quite uncool with that. This is just one example of a range of topics the Democratic party has a strong opinion on, and you are "cancelled" or treated like some kind of terrible person if you go against the majority messaging.
just as anyone can perfectly be conservative and still be against the actions of republicans. It would do you some good to stop watching Steven Crowder or Alex Jones.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about if you think I consume Alex Jones and take anything that man says to heart. Alex Jones is either A) a psycho who believes what he says, or B) a jackass who spouts off crazy things without presenting them as jokes, and who has no concern about the truth or the spread of misinformation. I have only seen a few laughable clips from his show, and they were only amusing because of the silly non-jokes he seemed to be spewing, such as the infamous "turning the frogs gay" drivel. Most of what I saw was a loud-mouthed person who does not apply logic, reason, or facts, and who does not label his material as comedy if that's his intent. In my opinion, he is a charlatan, and unless you disagree with me and think he has valid points, then we can lay that to rest.

I don't watch most of Steven Crowder's material, but I have seen some, and I *have* seen almost all of his Change My Mind videos. Steven Crowder's comedy bits - whether you're amused by them or not - are obvious jokes (unlike Alex Jones') and he has serious discussions in the Change My Mind videos. My guess is that you heard the names "Alex Jones" and "Steven Crowder" being used to besmirch the Right, because if you had watched Steven Crowder's material, you would know that he disagrees with a variety of Republicans and that lumping him together with Alex Jones is an obvious sign of your lack of knowledge on the subject.
Quote from: Talyn82
Hopefully Outstar will shed some light on the matter, since she works for Paradox now.
She'll only say something if Paradox gives its blessing for her to say something. If she shares personnel actions (firings, quits, etc.), she could lose her job. I hadn't actually considered it before - and it seems less likely to me - but Cara Ellison could have even QUIT. If neither party mentioned the separation from employment, it's entirely possible. Again, I doubt it's what happened, but you never know. Perhaps a "I'm not working here any longer without Brian" sort of thing, though that wouldn't seem very good for her career, and I don't have reason to believe her to be all that noble/honorable or self-sacrificing...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:20:08 am by DarkProphet »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal