Welcome, Guest.
collapse

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How to add an element to a texture  (Read 1140 times)

Offline [archive] kristkos

• Fledgling
Re: How to add an element to a texture
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:22:00 am »
                umm it sounds weird i know but lemme explain
 u already have the full char textures n etc...and u want to add(not edit) another texture in a exact position where u want ...is that posible with the curent existing tools ?                        

-----signature-----

Offline [archive] Dheu

• Methuselah
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:22:00 am »
                No, at least not with VPKTool. You can right click the existing textures and rename them, but not add a new texture or texture search path. You can get the same effect by opening the original texture up in Adobe or Gimp using layers. When you export to DDS, it automaticially flattens the image.

I do most of my skin editing in a 2D skinning tool like Adobe Photoshop or Gimp (or some combination of the 2). I will use blender in texture paint mode to paint lines along some key polygon boundaries so I have a layer in my project that shows how far I need to stretch/deform aspects of the image. I will also use it from time to time to eliminate or add a seam line, but you have to be carefull not to do anything within Blender that adds new nodes/verticies.

In this regard, VTMB is a lot harder to mod than other games. I'm no pro, but I am familiar with the process since I generated 25 some odd skins in the last 3 weeks. I will note that the VTMB Mod Developers guide is going to get an update this coming weekend.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Don't use PackFileExplorer 3.9 on models that report more than 1 Level Of Detail (LOD). (You can right click on models within packfile explorer to see how many LODs they have). When you export the models from PackFileExplorer, it corrupts to LOD information. This means the model will look fine... but as you get further away from the model in the game, alternate lower poly count models kick in, and these models DONT look fine. Basically, your model becomes a porcupine if the camera gets more than about 200 virtual feet from the PC within the game.  You have to backtrack and use VampEd 0.92 to find a version that doesn't corrupt the LOD information. I plan on updating the guide this coming weekend with this new bug and warning.                        

Offline [archive] MooCHa2

• Antediluvian
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:44:00 am »

kristkos posted:
umm it sounds weird i know but lemme explain
 u already have the full char textures n etc...and u want to add(not edit) another texture in a exact position where u want ...is that posible with the curent existing tools ?

No.

Regards...                        

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:55:00 am »
                umm it isn't imposible tho
 umm thnx dheu ...i asked bcz i noticed scripts are heavely modified n atc...so i tho that there was already a manifest/script that lets u add elements.I am a modder myself...i just come from other games happy  and i'm aware of the photoshop usage with gimp ...but i prefer photoshop with after effects is trickyer but more creates advanced textures in my oppinion since u also can manipulate a fraction of the 3d space
 well now that i got that out of the way...another question ...can u glue the two layers toghether and make them react different ways? since is possible the glue part with the .dds...but than again i still need to create/edit a normal one...if some1 whould kindly point me to char movements script/manifest/animation happy
 and here is a basic exemple ...the wings are a different texture but the whole stuff is in the dds texture

Regards                        

-----signature-----

Offline [archive] Dheu

• Methuselah
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:03:00 pm »
                I believe you are talking about Specular Lighting and BumpMaps.

The MDL file doesn't actually point to textures, it point to .vmt files which allow the game engine to add metadata to the texture. For example

Using VPKTool, I open "<VYMB_INSTALL>/Vampire/models/character/npc/unique/downtown/VV/VV.mdl"

I notice that it points to "VV_body" and that the texture search paths include the directory models/character/npc/unique/downtown/VV/

So then I look in the texture search path directory:

"<VYMB_INSTALL>/Vampire/materials/models/character/npc/unique/downtown/vv"

and I see the file "vv_body.vmt"

I open this with notepad and it tells me about the texture:

VertexLitGeneric
 {
   "$basetexture"   "models\character\npc\unique\downtown\VV\VV_body"
   "$bumpmap"   "models\character\npc\unique\downtown\VV\skin_normal"
   "$envmap"   "envmap\specmap"
   "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" "1"   
   "$selfillum"   "1"
 }

In this case "vv_body" consists of the texture vv_body.ttz/vv_body.tth (converted to VTMB format from DDS using VPKTool).

It also uses skin_normal to define a normal map to provide bumpmap support.

You can also declare      

"$envmapmask"   "models\character\...\yourspecmap"

If you wish to add shiny reflective areas to the surface.  I think this is what you are refering to above, the way the wings arent as shiney as the body. So yes, it can be done. Specular lighting maps require a seperate greyscale image. black = no shiny, white or transparent = very shinny.

Final note: If you edit the Yukie model, be aware that her boots are currently broken. (Textures dont render). I hope to fix this by eliminating the boot (stretch the leg down to the foot.. hopefully the animation wont get messed up), but that probably wont be for several more weeks.                        

• Antediluvian
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 12:32:00 pm »

Dheu posted:

Final note: If you edit the Yukie model, be aware that her boots are currently broken. (Textures dont render). I hope to fix this by eliminating the boot (stretch the leg down to the foot.. hopefully the animation wont get messed up), but that probably wont be for several more weeks.

If you open up yukie's .x in notepad then have a look at the materials at the bottom. The third material down is the material responsible for her boots. I edited to reflect  yboots.tga  rather than tongue.tga then saved it.

Made a copy/paste/rename of her body tga then reflected the new filename above then when you import the modified .x into blender the boots texture show up straight away, and it seems to export fine.

I placed the new ttz/tth/vmt ingame. Basically all I did was copy/paste/rename the files to do with her body and reflect the path to the texture via the yboots.vmt but it didn't work and I'm pretty damn sure I haven't missed anything sad

Regards...

Edit: I will recheck my process in the next week to make sure. Not got enough time free at the moment to play with something that may/may not work in the end up.                        

Offline [archive] Dheu

• Methuselah
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 06:29:00 pm »
                Have you tried simply clobbering the tongue texture (ttz/tth) with the boot texture?                        

Marked as best answer by on July 28, 2014, 07:46:41 am

• Antediluvian
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 01:20:00 pm »
  • Undo Best Answer
  •                
    Dheu posted:
    Have you tried simply clobbering the tongue texture (ttz/tth) with the boot texture?

Sorry, It wasn't tongue, It was mouth texture. I had tongue in my head for some reason.

Yes, I have tried that with no effect. You would think it would work :/ I also tried to use the body texture file alone for quick test to replace the mouth texture files(ttz/tth) by replacing them in the mouths file location. No go on that one.

It's weird because when you refresh the texture via uv editor, the boot texture is shown straight away in its correct placement on the model regarding the faces on the model.

Hopefully, You will have more luck with it as I've hit a brick wall regarding idea's.

Regards...                        

• Fledgling
    « Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 02:07:00 pm »
                    umm ...sorry... i know i'm kinda bumping ur guys conversation but i can't seem to find a VampED(a working one) to extract to .x
     and i'm kinda stuck                        

-----signature-----

Offline [archive] Dheu

• Methuselah
    « Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 10:52:00 pm »
                    Moocha: Like I said... could stretch the leg down and eiminate the boot all together. I just worry about the animations.

kris: When you install VampEd, down at the bottom where the status bar would normally go is an input box that points to "E:\Vampire Extracted" by default. YOu need to change this to a valid location, else when you right click mdl files and select extract .x, it wont do anything. This confused me the first time I used it as well.                        

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 02:57:00 am »

Dheu posted:
    Moocha: Like I said... could stretch the leg down and eiminate the boot all together. I just worry about the animations.

kris: When you install VampEd, down at the bottom where the status bar would normally go is an input box that points to "E:\Vampire Extracted" by default. YOu need to change this to a valid location, else when you right click mdl files and select extract .x, it wont do anything. This confused me the first time I used it as well.

I reckon it will work. I did the opposite with jeanette's boots a good while back pulling them upwards with no ill effect animation wise. I also moded the arms to make gloves too with no effect, so I really dont see why it wouldnt work on yukie.

Had to dig through threads to find the screeny. Never finished it off(still got it there) because I couldn't get the pony working the way I wanted.

Regards...                        

• Antediluvian
    « Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 02:24:00 pm »
                    This is a pack which includes vamped 0.92

http://paine.planetvampire.gamespy.com/vtmb/files/447/

Regards...                        

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

• Antediluvian
    How to add an element to a texture
    « Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 01:27:00 pm »
                    I did a brief edit of pulling down yukie's boots, and there is no ill effect ingame. I removed the shin parts of the boots then scaled them down into the new formed legs that I had pulled downwards.

At the top of the boots there is a lip. I moved this downward to make her mini boots have the same lip as before, but it looked rather shabby as there wasn't enough faces/verts to cover the top of the new formed boots flawlessly. It will cerainly take a bit of tweaking.

Her legs looked a little wierd not having proper calves, but it doesn't look that bad. I guess its all about what you want to settle for in the end.

To give you an idea what the calves are like

If you want me to look at it when I have spare time for it. I have no problem with trying to get it looking the best I can with what's available, However, I won't be texturing the legs, that would be down to you, but I could always paint the legs briefly in blender and save the texture so that you have a reference. It certainly wouldn't look pretty.

Regards...                        

* Game Files

* PV Chat

[ P-V Files | Front Page | Forum ] Click links below chat box if url not working.